The idea is simple: we sell you a riff, which is just an audio track of us making jokes about a movie. By doing so, we can do literally any movie we want. Literally! Then, it's up to you to find a copy of the movie on DVD and sync the two together.
There's now an app for that! Check out the RiffTrax App which automatically syncs up the commentary with the movie using your mobile device. If you would rather sync up manually, continue reading.
Here's how to sync up a commentary with the movie:
- Purchase one of our Audio MP3 commentaries. Pick one that strikes your fancy - we have everything from Casablanca to Star Trek.
- Once you've made the purchase, you can either stream the MP3 from your Library's streaming player, or download the movie to your favorite MP3-playing device for offline playback.
- Play the MP3 first, and listen to the introduction. Amidst the witty banter of your hosts, Mike will provide instructions for when to pause the MP3, and when you'll need to un-pause it. (For example: "When the LucasFilm logo fades to black, press Play again on this RiffTrax.")
- When Mike says, "1, 2, 3, Pause" pause your MP3.
- Start the movie!
- Watch for the "sync cue" as described in Step 3, e.g. "LucasFilm logo fades to black".
- Once that moment happens in the movie, un-pause the MP3, and voila! Hilarious MST3k-style running commentary for blockbuster movies.
And of course, there's an app for that now, too, which makes syncing using this method a thing of the past.
Give it a shot and you'll see just how easy it is to watch your favorite (and not-so-favorite) Hollywood films in a brand-new way.